Pages

25 October, 2011

hay now, windrowing.

"Man, this baby must corner like it's on rails!" 
Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman

And it does.  I mean, not that I would know.  Windrowing may just be one of my favorite tasks on the ranch.  Dad purchased a really sweet windrower a few years back and I am quite privileged to drive it.  Not just anyone gets this right.  And I love it! 
Our windrower is shown in the above photo in a finished field.  It is a little challenging for my multitasking skills as there are a lot of things you must do at once.  It is the only machinery we have that contains a speedometer, which means it actually goes fast enough to require one!  Along the front it has metal arms that comb the grass pushing it into a row of metal teeth for cutting and then push it under the cab and crimp the material in these crazy metal twisted rods for baling purposes.  Below is an image of the main control panel, a little complicated but so fun!  The joy stick is your forward and reverse and has taken me some time to perfect.  Let's just say it was a bit jerky my first ride!  While juggling all these items you have to watch out for the dang sticks and rocks that you spent all spring picking up that still manage to be in the field so that they don't plague your windrower and upcoming baling! 

No comments:

Post a Comment