Pages

25 February, 2013

apple seeds.

Earlier this winter we cut down some large evergreens that were too close to the house for comfort.  I would lay in bed on windy nights and anxiously watch the limbs sway.  We'd also been told they might be partially to blame for our huge ant population - you'll likely hear about that this summer.  It was sad to see the trees go but we felt like it had to be done.  


We had a lot of help to get them down but I think my brother, Michael, had the most fun.  In the picture below he's climbed up to attach to the tree - what I didn't capture was him repelling down!


We're planing to plant some new trees to replace them just much, much further away from the house.  A little online research and realizing how much you pay for a tree I have to at least try a cheaper option.  After making Elly some applesauce the other day I decided to try growing my own trees from the seeds.  From my research this doesn't always work out but I felt like I should try.  I'm using a method I vaguely recall doing in elementary school - because that was yesterday, *ahem*.

I let the seeds completely dry out and then placed them on a damp paper towel, stuck them in a baggy and labeled them.  They'll hang out in the fridge until they sprout.  I'll check on them often, sometimes, hopefully to keep the towel damp until they are ready for transplant to an indoor pot.  If all goes well outside they go!  

Fingers crossed!?!    



No comments:

Post a Comment