Pages

20 January, 2011

no bull.

Yesterday I spent the morning with Dad and others ear tagging the steers the ranch just sold for shipment.  It started by chasing the steers from the meadow into the corrals.  I have quickly learned to wear my running shoes because as low woman on the totem pole I get the job of clearing the trees and other undriveable areas by foot.  Once we had them in the corrals we sorted off the smaller steers so that we loaded the healthiest and heaviest of the lot for sale.

For those not in the 'know' a steer is a male cow that certain items have been removed for a couple reasons; this is the defining difference between a bull and a steer.  The removal of such items makes these cows have different physical traits, less hair here or there, a smaller chest, etc.  One of the subjects yesterday was a little suspicious looking.  A true cowgirl who is a few years older than I am, just over 5' tall with a big personality to make up for her small stature decided we needed to check and proceeded to stick her petite hand between the cows hind legs for confirmation.  After digging around a bit she decided it was "No bull", and I elected to take her word for it!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous21.1.11

    Ha! Great story! :P When I was about 14 working on the Kimberlin Ranch, I was told one day we would be "testing bulls". I was always gung ho and up for something new....but I had NO IDEA what I was in for that day! I can't wait to read the blog you type up the day YOU do it! LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's only a matter of time! We start calfing soon so it promises to have some interesting stories I'm sure! :-)

    ReplyDelete