Pages

19 April, 2011

oh babies.

During the calving season I have accumulated three orphans.  Healthy babies that had lost their mothers for different reasons.  One poor Mama rolled over into a ditch and died, another was too old to produce enough milk and the last was a twin who got separated.  I have spent several months feeding them twice a day.  Against the advise of everyone I named my babies, Black Beauty (the only boy), Duchess and Ginger.  After spending this much time with them I am most certainly attached!

We unfortunately lost a baby recently and introduced my little Ginger to the mother.  We skin the dead calf and place the hide on the replacement calf because cows identify each other by their scent.  Happily they paired up perfectly and Mama accepted the baby as her own.  We kept them together in the corral for two days and let them out into the pasture today.  On my way home Ginger stopped in her tracks, ran towards me and stared.  It was so sweet as she tilted her head at me - it took my breathe away!   

No comments:

Post a Comment