Pages

20 April, 2011

spring.

Everyday promises something new.  A new calf, a new task to learn and recently the beginning of my first spring working on the ranch.  Where to start?! 

Work in the fields is well underway.  Our river water has been turned on so I am slowly learning every ditch, headgate and the lowest (which is often still too high) places on all the fences I must cross.  I love the quiet mornings with Dad while we work our way along the ditches, even if it's a sure way to start everyday splattered with mud!  Santa had given me some thigh-high irrigation boots and I've limited myself to submerging only one leg but the day is likely soon coming for me to post about my first full dip in the ditch. 

We have over 200 calves with nearly 80 more to come.  Some are over 8 weeks old and they love to race - many times in the fields with one another and every now and then it's with my truck as I race down the lane early in the morning.  I can't quiet describe or get a picture to show how agile and quirky they are when they run with their tails pointing in the air!  And I survived my first branding which is a story of its own! 

No comments:

Post a Comment