Pages

26 September, 2011

hay now, intro.

The majority of our summer is devoted to producing hay; we are almost finished with the last harvest!  We grow alfalfa, native grasses, and oats mixed with field peas for livestock feed and grazing.  It is a large part of our operation and has kept our team quite busy this summer.  It starts with irrigation either by sprinkler or flooding.  Picking up every stick and rock that you cross in the fields for future safety... and believe me there is a steady supply!  Then we cut, bale and store the hay.  This process takes a lot of time, patience and just the right weather!  I can't sum up the process enough here so I'll post some separate tid-bits on the details.   

1 comment:

  1. I can remember when I was a kid I would spend hours walking next to tractors/trucks picking up field stones. Sounds like a nice change of pace now.

    ReplyDelete