Pages

03 February, 2011

calving call.

The first calves of the year were born very early this morning!  I awoke to a call at 1:30 from Dad asking me to come over and help him pull a calf.  A process we'll get into later!  By the time I got bundled up and over to the barn we were lucky enough to have the calf come naturally - I missed the action by 3 seconds for the second born.  The first calf had been born outside and was really chilled so Dad had him laying in the truck on the floorboard to heat up.  I was amazed how calmly the newborn sat there!  We fed the other calf a bottle and before I knew it it was nearly 2 hours later and I had been reminded how resilient these creatures are and how smart in many ways!  I mean - they are up, walking and nursing typically within an hour if not minutes! 

Notice the irony in the below picture!  On my drive home I meant to take a photo of the temperature and realized how funny this was.  Listening to a "Caliente" station (means "hot" in espanol) while it's -20 degrees! 

1 comment:

  1. No comments about the awesomeness that is calving time?? Sooo cute!!! I am so jealous! Hope to see you sooner than later! -Kel

    ReplyDelete