Pages

20 June, 2013

west fork fire.


Our area isn't a complete stranger to forest fires.  In the summer of 2002 over 9,300 acres were burnt near Millions Reservoir between dry conditions and beetle killed trees it seems inevitable.  I wasn't around during the summer of 2002... I was out playing counselor at a summer camp in Pennsylvania so taking this all in has been an experience.  

I have been helping a friend run shuttles for river guides on the river recently so I have been getting out a bit more than normal and was astounded at the spreading of smoke yesterday.  I couldn't believe it could get much worse.  But today in the same spot I couldn't see the hills I knew were oh so close and there was a steady sprinkle of ashes on the windshield.  

Thanks to a little encouragement from a photographer friend I dug out my real camera and ducked below the house for some "real" pictures.  A subject I hope to not have around very often.  It's amazing how mother nature can be so dangerous and stunning at the same moment.  







1 comment:

  1. Alexis, I have always loved your photos and these are wonderful. You have captured the beauty in something so devastating. Stay safe. Sandy

    ReplyDelete